September 1, 2012

Thaw & Transfer {Complete}

The past several days have been a bit surreal for me.  For all of us, really.  Less than a year ago, Sally initiated contact with me, and today our tiny embryo is tucked safely inside of her where we are desperately hoping and praying he/she will stay for 8 months or so.  Surreal.

I was a mess on thaw day (8/28) because I know the freezing and thawing process can be hard on these tiny little lives.  But through the amazing miracles of technology, the skilled hands and mind of our fabulous embryologist, and most of all our gracious God, our little one thawed almost perfectly (only lost a few cells on the outer layer) and was hatching nicely when the transfer took place.

I couldn't be happier... but I won't lie.  My nerves are shot and my anxiety has been off the charts.  I've had daily nausea with my anxiety, so that's been especially fun!  (We're calling it "sympathy nausea!")  ;)

Despite all that I am thrilled.  The one thing I have been waiting for for more than 2 years has finally happened...  One of our tiny little babies is no longer "paused" and now has a fighting chance at life.  See the little cross in the picture below?  The very bright white spot at the bottom of the cross and just a tad to the left of it.... that is my baby!  (The long white blob is the catheter used to transfer him/her.)

FET (frozen embryo transfer), 1 blast (blastocyst), 5AA (grade) optimal (!!), 6.5cm

We don't know yet if our baby will implant, but we are all very very hopeful.  Everything went as perfectly as it could have, but it's all in God's hands just as it has been from the beginning.  Please keep praying for our little one and for Sally as she is also pretty nervous (and still pumped full of hormones).  She'll get her blood drawn on the 10th and we should know on the 11th whether or not she is pregnant (although I'm guessing she'll have a pretty good idea before then, though she says she's not going to tell me!). 

Last night I wrote this little note to our precious little "Cheerio" (as my sister has taken to calling him/her).  I hope and pray this is just the first of many notes I get to write to my child.

-E

Hi Sweet Baby. Mommy and Daddy are so happy you are finally somewhere safe and warm where you can snuggle in and grow. We love you SO very much and think about you constantly even though you are far away from us. We want you to stay there with your Aunt Sally for a while, okay? She needs to take care of you until it's time for you to come home. We are hoping and praying that you will grow strong and not cause any of us reason to worry.

Your life has been prayed for and celebrated by people all over the world. You are a precious miracle and have shown off like a little rockstar these past few days. We couldn't be more proud to be your parents.

Please stay strong for Mommy and Daddy. We've waited a very long time for you, and desperately want to hold you in our arms. We love you with all of our hearts.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful letter to your little one. Praying this is indeed the first of many, many more letters to your sweet child.

    ReplyDelete

You CAN comment even if you don't have a Blogger account. From the drop-down menu, simply select the "Name/URL" option (and leave URL blank) or "Anonymous" (and sign your first name so we know who you are). Easy/peasy. ;)